In the last blog post we started our series on catching big “fish” i.e. clients that will sustain your business over the long term. We’re now going to take that a step further by discussing how to understand and think like that big fish client and how that enables you to plan your approach and find success.
Before you can start the process you have to make sure the entire team is engaged with your approach and vision. There are six key steps to finding big client success. They are:
1. First Impression: The first contact counts – you must remember you have one shot to land that big client. If you don’t get it right, they aren’t likely to consider you again. Never give them any reason to doubt your abilities.
2. First Priority: Your client must always feel that they are your 1st priority. Return calls, messages and emails immediately and identify solutions to their problems or questions quickly.
3. Flexibility: You need flexibility in your negotiations. If they need a customised service or for you to tailored product, say yes as you will reap the benefit in the long term. A little change now will deliver big results later.
4. Think long-term: This goes with the last one to a degree. As you are negotiating and approaching with the big client think about the long term benefits to you and your business. If you go for a one-time big result they will lose interest.
5. Enjoy and have fun: Work should be enjoyable and fun, even when trying to land your big clients; in fact, this should be the most fun. You are sharing your capability and vision with new people and incorporating them into your future success. People work better in an enjoyable, fun, happy environment. Your passion will be contagious and you pull the clients into your vision even more.
6. Help Them: If you take a little time and provide your clients with ways to save money or time for example by introducing them to potential business partners, this will show you really are interested and invested in their business. Strive to ensure balance between your client’s needs and your business needs.
There are also a few strategies you can use to bring in a big-company vision to your team. You can:
• Post these six key steps for all to see.
• Create a performance based incentive program.
• Have frequent team meetings.
• Use a “right now” policy that ensures big client call are answered immediately.
• Offer awards/recognition for big-company ideas and results.
• Create together a training program and certification based on the six keys above.
These 6 keys and tips will help you ensure a big-company mindset is in place throughout your company which will enable you to be more prepared and land your big clients. Once your team is thinking this way, you’ll be all unstoppable.
If you need assistance putting together an incentive program or other method to push your team toward the big-company mindset, to try our FREE test drive or to work with one of our coaches check out our resources and tools